If you or your child is currently suffering from food allergies, go here to find a free medical camp near you!
Food Allergies in Children:
Children are most prone to food allergies, though both children and adults can be affected by food allergies. Food allergy can start off from as simple and common symptoms as rashes, stomach pain, dark circles under eyes, nausea, or hyperactivity.
Food Allergy Definition and Explanation:
A food allergy is the abnormal response that your body’s immune system generates when it feels that the food that you consume is harmful to the body.
These allergies can sometimes in turn cause serious illness or death. You can be allergic to any kind or variety of food, but most popular food allergies are cause due to peanut, tree nut, wheat, soy fish, egg and milk. People who have food allergies should prevent consuming them because, even mild and non severe reactions can cause illness and in rare cases lead to death.
Most food allergies begin in the early stages of life, most of the times, before a child reaches the age of 2. Some of these reactions (milk) resolve with time, whereas some (nuts) stay throughout life! You can observe food allergies in children and kids, by observing the changing diet. Usually, doctors advice a change to soy milk or breast milk, if the child is on a cow milk diet.
Doctors also advice mothers to feed infants with breast milk exclusively for the first 4 months of life to protect infants from milk allergy for the first two years of life. Mother’s must also make sure that they do not consume any common allergic products, while keeping the infant on a complete breast milk diet, as sufficient quantities enter breast milk and hence cause a reaction in the kid.
Causes of Food Allergies:
Allergic reaction to food occurs due to the presence of component in the foods we consume called as allergen. When these allergens survive digestive enzymes in the stomach and cross gastrointestinal lining, they enter the blood stream and cause allergic reactions by targeting organs.
Symptoms of Food Allergies:
Almost all of the symptoms of food allergy occur as soon as a few minutes to an hour of consuming food. Food allergies can be usually experienced as itching in mouth and uncomfortable breathing and swallowing. As soon as the allergens are absorbed into the blood stream as mentioned before, they reach the skin and induce eczema or other skin reactions. If these allergens happen to reach air ducts, the patient is most likely to suffer from Asthma. Most food allergies involve the patient suffering from weakness, light headedness, and sudden drop in blood pressure.
Treatment of Food Allergies:
The only and best way to assess food allergy is with a detailed history of the diet the patient was on. Doctors also perform blood tests, food challenges, skin tests to confirm and assess the level of food reaction. History plays an important role in diagnosing.
Avoiding eating the culprit that caused Food allergy is the primary treatment of Food Allergy. In order to do this, people who are allergic to specifics foods should go through the pain of reading the labels of all the foods they consume. It is also a point to note that FDA requires all ingredients in a food be listed on its label. That way people can make sure they do not even accidentally consume food they are allergic to!
Go here if you or your child has a food allergy and want to find a free medical camp near you!
- Causes of Allergies – Family and Lifestyle Factors Allergic problems tend to run in families, and the likelihood of a child developing an allergy is increased if one or both parents suffer from...
- Carpet and Allergies Soon after a new carpet has been installed, house-dust mites will be busy making themselves at home. Microorganisms, such as bacteria and molds, can also...
- How to Read Food Labels And Nutrition Information By law, manufacturers have to label foods so it is clear exactly what is in them and, where appropriate, to give nutritional advice. This is...
- Basal Cell Carcinoma – Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment Basal Cell Carcinoma Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, risk factors and warning signs are scientifically explained about this common type of skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma is...
- What is an Allergy ? What causes allergic reactions ? An adverse immune response is the body's attempt to kill or expel a foreign protein that has invaded it. From the body's perspective, therefore, an...
- Fibromyalgia symptoms, diagnosis, Causes, Treatment – Short Medical Article Fibromyalgia is one of these chronic diseases. Fibromyalgia is a condition where the patient has prevalent pain in muscles and tendons. He/she is fatigues at...